The Road Transport (Working Time) Regulations (RTWT) requires employment businesses to maintain records of the Working Time of mobile workers who are involved in operations subject to EU drivers hours rules. An employment business is obliged to ensure that the Working Time limits specified below are complied with for temporary workers they engage.


In summary the RTWT regulations provide for the following:

Mobile drivers (such as HGV drivers and crew) are subject to a maximum Working Time of 48- hours per week over a default 26-hour week reference period. There is a maximum weekly limit of 60 hours Working Time. There is a maximum of 10 hours night work within each 24-hour period. Night time is defined as midnight to 04:00 (for goods vehicles) and 01:00 to 05:00 (for passenger vehicles). This maximum may be extended in certain circumstance.

Rest periods

Mobile workers must take the following breaks:

30 minutes after 6 hours Working Time and 45 minutes for over 9 hours Working Time. It is important to note that EU Drivers Hours breaks and rest periods still apply.


It is your responsibility to inform us of all your Working Time during the reference periods we use and to keep us updated as to any additional Working Time you undertake for other employers or employment businesses for these purposes during an assignment.

It is also your responsibility to accurately record your Working Time during an assignment.

RTWT Regulations have been introduced to protect and safeguard the health and safety of mobile workers, other road users and the public. A mobile worker also has a responsibility for complying with the regulations. If the mobile worker knowingly breaks the rules (e.g. neglects to inform his employer or employment business about other work, or knowingly makes a false record), then they will committing a criminal offence and may be subject to a fine or conviction of up to £5000. (Regulation 18 of the RTWT Regulations).

The RTWT Regulations require that all work undertaken for other employers must be taken into account when we calculate your Working Time during the relevant period. Both transport and non-transport work must be taken into account.

Both transport and non-transport Working Time must be declared. If you are engaged in charitable or voluntary work, or work for the TA, fire service or police you must inform us and you should fill out the chart below as if you were engaged in other work, even though we may exclude time spent on such activities from our calculation of your Working Time.